TACA Quarterly Board Meeting
Friday 7 February 2014
The quarterly board of directors meeting was called to order at 10:00 a.m.by President Jeff Sharp in Milan Tennessee at their Fire Department on 7029 Telcom Drive.
The roll was called by Secretary Michael Bartlett of the Officers and Board of Directors present and assurance was made that all present were current and in good standing. A quorum of eight out of twelve board of directors is required to adjourn an official meeting. There were a twelve (12) members present, three (3) of which were directors. A quorum was not established. The sign-in sheet and the roster are attached.
The Minutes of the 8 November 2013 Board Meeting and the memorandum of 18 November 2013 regarding the conference change proposal were distributed by the secretary. A motion was not made to accept the minutes or memorandum as read because of there not being a quorum. The minutes will be read and approved at the Tuesday 13 May 2014 Board Meeting at 6:00 p.m.
The Treasurer’s Report was not available due to the absence of the Treasurer. An e-mail from Nora Smith indicated she would send information on the bank accounts to a requested address dated 6 February 2014.
1. President Jeff Sharp continues to work on having our Treasurer bonded for $50,000.00 as discussed and approved in our 8 November 2013 Board Meeting. Jeff’s plan is to have Treasurer Nora Smith bonded as previously discussed prior to the Annual Meeting in May, 2014.
2. The Annual Conference move from Murfreesboro to Franklin, Tennessee will be presented and discussed in detail at our General Meeting in May 2014. A vote will be taken to determine the 2015 and future locations. *Memorandum attached.
3. A discussion of our current TACA inventory was conducted. It is believed TACA has enough t-shirts from last year to give out to all 2014 attendees. Bill Garner will order button down collared shirts for all officers and board members for receipt prior to the May General Meeting. Bill will be contacting each officer and director to gain their shirt sizes. President Jeff Sharp reviewed the assets of TACA and it was determined there were no changes from our 8 November 2013 inventory. Currently, in addition to the t-shirts, we have the old and the new TACA Display Boards, numerous TACA coffee mugs at the Knoxville Police Department, two totes of hospitality items and supplies and one empty tote at the Murfreesboro Fire and Rescue and less than fifty (50) TACA Reward posters.
1. Committees were established for the May 2014 Annual Conference by President Jeff Sharp. The Committee information follows:
*Registration Committee – Jeff Sharp Nora Smith
Geoff Woolard Bill Garner Ryan Shanklin
*Sergeant-At-Arms – Randy Groce
*Opening Ceremonies – Michael Bartlett Randy Groce
*Hospitality Committee – Michael Bartlett Randy Groce
Hotel Liasion – Michael Bartlett
*Election Committee – Anthony Fultz (+2 chosen at conf.)
*Vendor Committee – Bill Garner T. Starr Smith-Martin Ryan Shanklin Michael Bartlett
*Education Committee – Russell Robinson Jim Simpson Jimmy Jennings
*Testing/Exam Committee – Jim Simpson J.P. Ray Russell Robinson Anthony Fultz
*Audit Committee – Travis Kincade (new President-Elect) (+1 chosen at conf.)
2. Two (2) Scholarships will again be offered from each Division of Tennessee. Priority will be given to Volunteer Fire Personnel followed by Paid/Career Fire Personnel. Students at Universities and Colleges in a related field will be considered next followed by interested personnel. The Scholarship will pay for the Conference Registration fee and one year TACA membership only. The hotel room and meals will be the responsibility of the individual. Anyone interested should send a letter describing their desire to attend to a District Vice President or TACA Officer for consideration by the Board.
3. We need plaques made for the class instructors, previous officers and special recognition. Randy Groce will be in charge of obtaining plaques for the May 2014 event.
4. Fire Commission and P.O.S.T. Certifications will need to be approved prior to the Conference. Jimmy Jennings and Jim Simpson will meet with Randy Fox to gain Fire Commission class approval. Russell Robinson will gain P.O.S.T. Certification requirements and approval.
5. Scott Summar will not be attending the May TACA Conference. Scott has been supplying the computer and audio/visual equipment. We need someone to bring equipment this year. Jeff Sharp will ask around for available equipment for this year. Anyone with equipment or assistance should contact Jeff.
6. The Silent Auction in 2013 brought in over $1,000.00 in revenue and was a great success. This year Michael Bartlett will arrange the items and make item purchases. Special wine and beer for auction will be purchased again this year with the Hospitality Budget and gift items will be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target and the Engraver. Michael Bartlett needs information regarding the amount allowed to be spent in 2014 on the Silent Auction.
8. Jeff Sharp wants the TACA Minutes for all 2012 through 2014 meetings compiled onto a compact disc or thumb drive to be submitted upon his end of tenure to Attorney Art McClellan for permanent retention. Jeff hopes that all future Presidents and Secretaries continue this practice so our meetings will be a permanent record for all future TACA members to reference.
9. The tentative program discussed for our 14-16 May 2014 Annual Conference is as follows:
Tuesday, 13 May 06:00 pm – 09:00 pm – Board and Officers finalization meeting
– Preparation of Registration Bags and Conference Material
– Food to be served (1/2 order) during meeting
Wednesday, 14 May 08:00 am – 09:00 am – Registration, Distribute Conference Information
09:00 am – 10:00 am – Opening Ceremony; Welcome, Honor Guard, National Anthem, Pledge, Dignataries
10:00 am – 12:00 pm – Dewey Woody, Tennessee Bomb & Arson Director
12:00 pm – 01:00 pm – Lunch (on their own)
01:00 pm – 05:00 pm – Sovereign Citizen – Tony Reavley EMA Hamilton County or William Barker per Lee Brooks
Thursday, 15 May 08:00 am – 12:00 pm – New Mexico Tech: Prevention & Response to Suicide
(and/or 01:00 pm – 05:00 pm) Bombing Incidents (PRSBI) 4 hours or 8 hours
01:00 pm – 05:00 pm – Fire Pattern Review and Interpretation – Lee Brooks to follow-up.
01:00 pm – 05:00 pm – Interview Process and Methods – Jimmy Jennings to follow-up.
Friday, 16 May 08:00 am – 10:00 pm – Mock Questioning; Fire Investigation Case – Jimmy Jennings to follow-up. Attorneys to Consider Rusty Revier, Steve Dix or Art McClellan
10:00 am – 12:00 pm – Examination or Testing; Closing of Conference and handout of Certificates – Annual General TACA Meeting
12:00 pm – 02:00 pm – Tear down, pack up, and closing of event (All Officers and Board Members to assist)
10. The Officers and Board Members who will be rotating off or retiring in May, 2014 will be President Elect (moving to President) Travis Kincaid and the four 2014 Board of Directors; Terry Dial, Darrell Hodge, T. Starr Smith-Martin and Gary Young. To date, the remaining Board and Officers are current and in good standing and plan to remain on the TACA Board.
11. The 2013 TACA Conference cost $3,987.01 (with $2,175.41 being t-shirts allowing $1,811.60 difference) and deposited $10,227.25 in Conference Registration Fees, Membership, Silent Auction and other revenues. The profit realized in 2013 from the TACA Conference was $6,240.24.
A motion to adjourn the February, 2014 Quarterly Board Meeting was made at 12:25 pm by Jimmy Jennings and was seconded by Jim Simpson. A vote was taken and the Motion carried. There were twelve Members present, three of which were Board of Directors.